Make ours an energising shot of Lulu, please
How the gorgeous (sixtysomething) singer stays fizzing with energy... Our friend, lovely Lulu, criss-crosses the globe, whizzes around London and is every bit as active as when she first stormed the charts as a teenager.
She's generous at sharing her secrets, though, so we thought we'd ask Lu what exactly keeps her bubbling and 'up', despite a schedule which would have many women on their knees.
It's timely, too, because from midnight tonight on QVC Lulu's launching a TSV (Today's Special Value) with a new addition to her Time Bomb skincare collection, Complexion Cocktail with a Shot of B12. It's a little like a toner, but delivers an infusion of moisture and vitamins so skin appears glow-y, healthy and plumped-up. (We're loving it.)
Complexion Cocktail features 12 amino acids, two types of hyaluronic acid (our favourite skin-saver), vitamins B3 and B12, and is perfect for those moments when you look in the mirror and skin looks - well, dead-beat. You know what we mean: dark circles, droopiness, general weariness. This works on stressed skin by improving micro-circulation. (NB Though it comes in a screw-top bottle, we like to transfer a little to a clear plastic spray, for at-desk skin top-ups.)
And in addition to her new skin wonder, here are some of the other ways she stays energised...
• 'Quite often if I'm feeling sluggish, it's simply because I need to eat. Cake and chips will fix that fast, but I know my body well enough to understand that green vegetables and some protein like grilled chicken are the best things for me. For a quick fix, I go for a few squares of Green & Black's 70% Chocolate.' (And no, Jo didn't put those words in Lu's mouth!)
• Keeping my water levels topped up is crucial. Rehydrating from within rehydrates my skin, for sure.
• I think you have to pay attention to yourself. A salon treatment, a massage or a blow-dry go a long way to making you feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror, and that has a knock-on effect on mood and energy.
• I really have to be careful these days not to follow my urges to overdo it with exercise. I do Pilates, and I stretch before I even get out of bed in the morning, but I know sometimes it's better for my energy levels overall to take it easy, rather than crash and burn. Last Saturday I did all my errands and literally rewarded myself on Sunday with a pyjama day - and I don't beat myself up for staying in my PJs all day, because I know that a bit of rest and relaxation is the best thing for setting me up for the next week. But you have to give yourself permission to do that - and women aren't very good at that...
• I'm completely addicted to the skin-energising effect of Complexion Cocktail. I sit at my desk wearing no make-up, my hair in a ponytail, and I just keep spraying. (You can't put these ingredients in a cream; they only work as a liquid.) It really does wake up skin.