Beauty Clinic: Help me prevent make-up meltdown!
Q. I am going to Turkey this month (June) and wonder how I can keep my make-up fresh and not sliding off my face in the heat. Is there a way of fixing foundation and staying looking cool? A. There are several tips we would make use of. But first of all, please don't forget to take plenty of sun protection and reapply every two hours.
Make up melts in the heat partly because of the temperature and the fact you perspire more and also because your skin tends to produce more oil.
We would do the following:
• Apply a light non pore-clogging day cream (so nothing that contains mineral oils – we like Liz Earle Skin Repair Light/£20.25 for 50 ml) then an SPF30 sun prep, tinted if you wish.
• Depending on how much coverage you need, we would then apply either a mineral foundation such as bareMinerals Ready SPF20 in 11 shades/£26, which will also top up your sun protection, or simply dot on concealer where you need it.
• If you decide you need foundation, consider using Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Instant Soft-Focus Beauty Flash Primer/£38.50, which she promises stops make-up melt ‘n slide. Stroke it on underneath, and/or on top to perk up your skin during the day.
• Waterproof or water-resistant mascara is a boon, such as Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara in Black, £19.50. If you want to wear eye shadow or smudgy liner, do consider a primer on your lids. Urban Decay offers a travel-size Eyeshadow Primer Potion – Anti-ageing/£10.
• We can’t advise you often enough to also wear a wide-brimmed, closely woven straw hat and Jackie O shades, and of course to stay out of the heat from 11-3.
• Lastly, take blotters (eg Boots Skin Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets/£3.99) plus a lightweight spritz in your bag to freshen up your face – great on the back of your neck too. Our favourite is MV Organic Skincare Rose Hydrating Mist/£28 for 70 ml, from www.cultbeauty.co.uk (It’s supermodel Rosie Huntingdon-Whiteley’s can’t-live-without product for rehydrating skin.)